- Guidelines Home
- Nitrogen Removal Report
Onion Nitrogen Uptake and Partitioning
Seasonal N Uptake
Nitrogen accumulation in the bulbs and tops of intermediate day (open squares) and long-day (diamonds) varieties of fresh market onions grown in the high desert near Lancaster, CA. Yields were approximately 828 and 700 cwt/acre, respectively. Uptake was very slow for the first half of the season, until the early bulbing stage. Uptake was steady during bulb development until early maturity, at about 3.1 lbs N/acre/day for the intermediate variety and 1.7 lbs N/acre/day for the long-day variety .
Nitrogen distribution in fresh market onions grown near Lancaster, CA. Values represent the means of two intermediate-day varieties and one long-day variety .
Nitrogen Removed at Harvest
|Location||Years||Removal (lbs N/ton fresh weight)||Source|
|Lancaster, CA||2013-14||3.42||2.97 - 3.92|||
|Salinas, CA||1961||5.41||4.83 - 6.29|||
|India||2012||4.89||3.1 - 6.16|||
|Various||3.60||1.6 - 4.8|||
|Various||3.52||2.53 - 3.81|||
|Weighted Average||3.94||1.6 - 6.29|
The amount of N removed per unit of yield is higher for onion varieties with a high percentage of dry matter. However, because yields are higher for onions with less dry matter, total N removal may not differ.
- Biscaro, A., Cahn, M., 2014. Improving irrigation and nutrient management . Garlic and Onion Symposium, Tulare, California, Feb 10, 2014.
- Biscaro, A., Cahn, M., Smith, R., Hartz, T., 2014. Nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium uptake patterns of freshmarket onion production in southern California. American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America (ASA, CSSA, and SSSA) International Annual Meetings, Long Beach CA. Complemented with unpublished data.
- Geisseler, D., 2016. Nitrogen concentrations in harvested plant parts -A literature overview. Report to the Kings River Watershed Coalition.
- Howard, F.D., MacGillivray, J.H., Yamaguchi, M., 1962. Nutrient composition of fresh California-grown vegetables. California Agricultural Experiment Station, Bulletin No. 788, California Department of Agriculture.
- Pradhan, R., Pattnaik, A. K., Tripathy, P., Mallikarjunarao, K., Sahoo, B. B. Lenka, J., 2015. Influence of sulphur fertilization on nutrient uptake of onion (Allium cepa L.). Journal Crop and Weed 11, 134-138.
- United States Department of Agriculture Food Composition Database.
- Zink, F.W., 1966. Studies on the growth rate and nutrient absorption of onion. Hilgardia 37, 203-218.