- Guidelines Home
- Nitrogen Removal Report
Cotton Nitrogen Uptake and Partitioning
Seasonal N Uptake
Nitrogen uptake of cotton grown in Fresno and Kings County was determined by harvesting the aboveground biomass at different times during cotton development. Cotton plants took up little N until they reached the early square stage. Most N was taken up between the early square and peak bloom stage .
Measured immediately before defoliation, more than half of the aboveground N of Accala cotton was in the seeds. Nitrogen in the fiber and burs accounted for about 15% .
Nitrogen Removed at Harvest
|Location||Years||Removal (lbs N/ton lint and seed)||Source|
|California||1998-2000||47.3||26.3 - 63.2||[1, 2]|
|California||1999-2000||33.1||23.3 - 41||[1 ,2]|
|Israel||1980-85||47.4||39.5 - 54.5|||
|Greece||2008-09||44.8||43 - 46.4|||
|Syria||2011||32.6||30.5 - 35.1|||
|Weighted Average||43.7||23.3 - 63.2|
- Fritschi, F.B., Roberts, B.A., Travis, R.L., Rains, D.W., Hutmacher, R.B., 2003. Response of irrigated Acala and Pima cotton to nitrogen fertilization: growth, dry matter partitioning, and yield. Agronomy Journal 95, 133-146.
- Fritschi, F.B., Roberts, B.A., Travis, R.L., Rains, D.W., Hutmacher, R.B., 2004. Seasonal nitrogen concentration, uptake, and partitioning pattern of irrigated Acala and Pima cotton as influenced by nitrogen fertility level. Crop Science 44, 516-527.
- Geisseler, D., 2016. Nitrogen concentrations in harvested plant parts -A literature overview. Report to the Kings River Watershed Coalition.
- Halvey, J. 1976. Growth rate and nutrient uptake of two cotton cultivars grown under irrigation. Agronomy Journal 68, 701-705.
- Janat, M., 2008. Response of Cotton to Irrigation Methods and Nitrogen Fertilization: Yield Components, Water-Use Efficiency, Nitrogen Uptake, and Recovery, Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 39, 2282-2302.
- Stamatiadis, S., Tsadilas, C., Samaras, V., Schepers, J.S., Eskridge, K., 2016. Nitrogen uptake and N-use efficiency of Mediterranean cotton under varied deficit irrigation and N fertilization. European Journal of Agronomy 73, 144-151.