- Guidelines Home
- Nitrogen Removal Report
Barley Nitrogen Uptake and Partitioning
Seasonal N Uptake
Nitrogen uptake of barley grown at two fertilization rates determined by harvesting the aboveground biomass at different times during the growing season. Barley took up little N until tillering. Most N was taken up between tillering and heading. Adapted from [2,5].
At maturity, approximately three fourths of the aboveground N of high yielding barley is in the grains, while about one fourth is in the straw .
Nitrogen Removed at Harvest
|Location||Years||Removal (lbs N/ton @ 12% moisture)||Source|
|California||1997-2011||34.6||29 - 40.6|||
|Colorado||2001-05||33.0||27.9 - 44.8|||
|Montana||2006-11||36.5||27 - 48.7|||
|Italy||2001-05||34.1||28.4 - 40|||
|Italy||2006-11||22.2||19.6 - 24.9|||
|Weighted Average||33.6||19.6 - 48.7|
- Albrizio, R., Todorovic, M., Matic, T., Stellaci, A.M., 2010. Comparing the interactive effects of water and nitrogen on durum wheat and barley grown in a Mediterranean environment. Field Crops Research 155, 179-190.
- Delogu, G., Cattivelli, L., Pecchioni, N., De Falcis, D., Maggiore, T., Stanca, A.M., 1998. Uptake and agronomic efficiency in winter barley and winter wheat. European Journal of Agronomy 9, 11-20.
- Geisseler, D., 2016. Nitrogen concentrations in harvested plant parts -A literature overview. Report to the Kings River Watershed Coalition.
- Halvorson, A.D., Reule, C.A., 2007. Irrigated, no-till corn and barley response to nitrogen in northern Colorado. Agronomy Journal 99, 1521-1529.
- Jackson, L.F., Williams, J., 2006. Growth and development of small grains. In: University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources (Ed.). Small Grain Production Manual. Publication 8164.
- Robinson, P., 2011. Assays of individual samples of California feedstuffs.
- Sainju, U.M., Lenssen, A.W., Barsotti, J.L., 2013. Dryland malt barley yield and quality affected by tillage, cropping sequence and nitrogen fertilization. Agronomy Journal 105, 329-340.