Frequently Asked Questions

Bureau Of Livestock Identification

  • Q: When is a Brand Inspection Required?


    1. When cattle are sold or ownership transferred
    2. Prior to movement out of state
    3. Prior to slaughter
    4. Upon entry to registered feedlot
    5. Prior to release from a Salesyard
    6. Prior to movement out of a modified point of inspection
    7. Prior to movement from a premises designated a quarantined
  • Q: How do I apply to register a brand?

    A: You must submit a brand application along with a $70.00 fee to the Brand Registrar.

  • Q: Do I need a brand inspection on my horse?

    A: No, a brand inspection is not required for a horse in California.

  • Q: Is a brand inspection required on cattle that does not have a brand?

    A: Yes, all cattle must be brand inspected when it is required whether or not they have a brand.

  • Q: Who do I call to get my cattle brand inspected?

    A. Brand inspectors cover every county of the state. You can contact the Bureau of Livestock Identification at 916-900-5006 for the brand inspector in your area or you can find a list on the Livestock ID home page.

Brands of the Stars

Contact Us

CDFA Animal Health and Food Safety Services,
Bureau of Livestock Identification
1220 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

Phone: 916-900-5006
Fax: 916-900-5335