Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When is a Brand Inspection Required?
- When cattle are sold or ownership transferred
- Prior to movement out of state
- Prior to slaughter
- Upon entry to registered feedlot
- Prior to release from a Salesyard
- Prior to movement out of a modified point of inspection
- Prior to movement from a premises designated a quarantined
Q: How do I apply to register a brand?
A: You must submit a brand application along with a $70.00 fee to the Brand Registrar.
Q: Do I need a brand inspection on my horse?
A: No, a brand inspection is not required for a horse in California.
Q: Is a brand inspection required on cattle that does not have a brand?
A: Yes, all cattle must be brand inspected when it is required whether or not they have a brand.
Q: Who do I call to get my cattle brand inspected?
A. Brand inspectors cover every county of the state. You can contact the Bureau of Livestock Identification at 916-900-5006 for the brand inspector in your area or you can find a list on the Livestock ID home page.
Brands of the Stars
CDFA Animal Health and Food Safety Services,
Bureau of Livestock Identification
1220 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814