California Department of Food and Agriculture


wedge Do You Want to Bring Animals into California? Visit CDFA interactive website to find the latest requirements needed to bring livestock and other animals into California.

blue wedge Fact Sheets for California Entry Requirements (+/-)

blue wedge Livestock, Poultry and other Animal Entry Information (+/-)

Most livestock and poultry have entry permit and Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) requirements to enter California (horses and other equidae do not require a permit but do require a CVI). California entry permits are issued to accredited licensed veterinarians from the state of origin by the Animal Health Branch by calling (916)900-5052. If a CVI is required for the shipment, it must be completely filled out prior to calling for the permit. The CVI must include the complete physical origin and destination address along with phone numbers.

After Hours Permits

Animal movement permits may be obtained after hours, weekends and holidays by calling (916) 900-5052. The recording will direct the caller to a temporary permit number to use as long as the animals are complying with CA state entry requirements. This permit number is valid for 15 days and is to be placed on the shipping copy of the health certificate only. An official permit number must be obtained the following business day by calling (916) 900-5052. If the caller wishes to leave a voicemail with the complete information, they will receive a phone call from the permit desk the following business day.

Transporting Livestock and other Animals into California Factsheet (PDF)
Certificate of Veterinary Inspection Requirements (PDF)

blue wedge Horses Entering California through Border Stations (+/-)

Border station personnel are required to document all horses crossing into California. This includes California horses returning to California. Thus, all horse trailers are required to stop at the border station crossings to provide destination information and required entry documentation. To facilitate prompt, efficient transition through the station, an Equine Only – California Entry Document has been developed. This document can be completed in advance and provided to the border personnel for verification.

Equine Only – California Entry Document

blue wedge Emergency Requirements (+/-)

  • Vesicular Stomatitis (+/-)
    Vesicular Stomatitis - Based on the international delisting of Vesicular Stomatitis (VS) and recent scientific evidence, California is revising the VS entry requirement statement on Certificates of Veterinary Inspection from VS affected states.

    California import requirements specify that all horses, cattle, sheep, goats and swine originating from any state where vesicular stomatitis (VS) has been diagnosed, (except cattle and swine transported directly to slaughter), must be accompanied by a health certificate (certificate of veterinary inspection) and signed by an accredited veterinarian that includes the following statement:

    "I have examined all the animals identified on this certificate within 14 days of shipment date and have found them to be free from signs of vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV). During the last 30 days, these animals have not been exposed to VSV nor located on a VSV confirmed or a VSV suspected premises."

    NOTE: The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) for California horses returning to California from a VS Affected State must include the VS statement written by an Accredited Veterinarian in the VS Affected State.
  • Avian Disease Outbreak Alert (+/-)
    Effective 6/19/15
    Producers in states affected by Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in commercial poultry that are planning to ship poultry or poultry products into California must comply with Quarantine #HQ-20150611.1 and the associated entry requirements. These requirements are in addition to Californias routine poultry entry requirements (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection or National Poultry Improvement Plan certification). Poultry and poultry product shipments that do not comply with these requirements will be subject to quarantine, testing, and/or destruction.
    Quarantine #HQ-20150611.1

blue wedge Livestock and Poultry Leaving California (+/-)

Accredited licensed veterinarians may order California Certificates of Veterinary Inspection for Livestock and Poultry (Form 77-010) from the Animal Health Branch by calling (916) 900-5002.
For information on moving animals from California to other states check the USDA State Regulations page and call the state of destination.

blue wedge Camelidae, Cervidae, Primates and Other Animals (+/-)

Camelidae (llamas, alpacas, camels & vicunas) Entry Requirements
All camelidae (llamas, alpacas, camels, vicunas) and domestic rabbits must be in good health. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection issued by an accredited veterinarian is recommended.

Cervidae (deer, elk, moose and exotic species) Entry Requirements
Contact the California Department of Fish and WildLife at (916) 928-5805 for information about importing Cervids into California.

Primates, New World Cats (Ocelots, Jaguar, Margay, Spotted Cat, Pampas), Ring-Tailed Cat, Foxes (Arctic, Red, Kit, Gray), Skunks & Bats
Contact the Department of Health Services Veterinary Public Health Section at (916) 552-9740 for more information.

Contact the Integrated Pest Control Branch at (916) 654-0768 and the California Department of Fish and WildLife at (916) 928-5845 for information on the following animals:

  • Amphibians
  • Animal Pests
  • Crustaceans
  • Ferrets
  • Fish
  • Hydrilla
  • Mammals NOT Regulated by Animal Health Branch
    (check the Restricted Species List)
  • Reptiles
  • Rodents
  • Weeds
  • Wild Birds

blue wedge Biologics Micro Parasites (+/-)

If transporting biologics, microorganisms, or parasites into California, contact the California Department of Food and Agriculture, Animal Health Branch for additional information and/or a PERMIT.

red wedge Dogs and Cats are regulated by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). For information regarding the importation and exportation of these animals please contact CDPH.

blue wedge California entrance requirements for Cats: (+/-)

All domestic cats must be healthy. Neither a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, nor a rabies vaccination is required to import a cat into California; however, if traveling into California via airplane, please call the airline as they may have additional requirements.

blue wedge California entrance requirements for Dogs: (+/-)

California Entrance Requirements for Dogs:
All domestic dogs must be healthy. Dogs over four (4) months of age must have a certificate of current rabies vaccination. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is not required for privately owned dogs being brought into the State of California. Persons bringing dogs into California with intent to sell or transfer ownership must have a health certificate completed by a licensed veterinarian within the 10 days prior to the date of importation. The person seeking to bring a dog into the state must send a copy of the health certificate to the county health department in the county in which the dog is to be sold or in the county of residence of the person who is receiving the dog. All persons transporting dogs via commercial air should call the airline for any additional requirements they might have.

blue wedge Small Animals Leaving California (+/-)

The United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals (APHIS Form 7001) is available as a fillable PDF form from the United States Department of Agriculture. The accredited veterinarian should maintain a photocopy of each document issued in an appropriate hospital file. To be valid for international travel or export, USDA APHIS VS area office endorsement is required. Obtain endorsement from:

United States Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services
Veterinary Services
10365 Old Placerville Road, Suite 210
Sacramento, CA 95827

Phone: (916) 854-3950
Fax: (916) 363-1125

Many states are no longer accepting the USDA APHIS form 7001 for interstate travel of small animals. The current APHIS form 7001 is easily downloadable off the internet and does not contain a unique, traceable identifying number. Because of some fraudulent use, the form has come under scrutiny and is being denied by a growing number of states. Accredited veterinarians are encouraged to check with the destination state to determine what forms are accepted. As an alternative to the APHIS form 7001, accredited practitioners can use an electronic Certificate of Veterinary Inspection available through a number of providers. Providers of electronic Certificates of Veterinary Inspection can be found on our page:

blue wedge International Importation or Exportation of Animals (+/-)

For information on moving animals to California from other countries and from California to other countries, check the USDA Veterinary Services International Animal Import and Export web site.

If the species to be exported is not listed, contact the appropriate ministry in the destination country and apply for an import permit that will include the entry requirements.  Foreign consulate information may be found at If additional assistance is needed, accredited veterinarians may contact Veterinary Service Export Staff at (916) 854-3900, Fax: (916) 363-1125, email:

To be valid for international travel or export, the USDA/APHIS/VS area office must endorse the United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals (APHIS Form 7001). Please contact:

United States Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services
Veterinary Services
10365 Old Placerville Road, Suite 210
Sacramento, CA 95827
Phone: (916) 854-3950 phone
Fax: (916) 363-1125

blue wedge Important Links (+/-)