CDFA and CalEPA Regulatory Alignment Study
In November 2022, the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) contracted with Crowe LLP and their partner, Blankinship & Associates, (collectively, Crowe) to conduct a regulatory alignment study. CDFA, in collaboration with the California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) and State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board), are working with Crowe to evaluate agriculture’s food safety and water quality regulatory reporting requirements as part of an effort to streamline the administrative processes and optimize information collected by the state. As part of the process, Crowe will map current CDFA and State Water Board ag-related food safety and water quality reporting requirements and prepare a final report with recommendations. The study is projected to be completed by 2025.
What is the goal of the Regulatory Alignment Study?
To meet this goal, Crowe will be responsible for the study’s five (5) objectives:
- Evaluate state regulatory requirements within the areas of water quality and food safety for the agricultural community and identify environmental and public health protections.
- Conduct listening sessions to gather input from the agricultural community relating to their experiences with the reporting requirements and process in these areas.
- Convene the agricultural community and regulators to review and map existing regulatory pathways for water quality and food safety to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and information sharing.
- Identify and prepare implementation plans for recommended process improvements to streamline reporting requirements.
- Provide recommendations to CDFA, CalEPA, and the State Water Board for technological enhancement to ease the administrative burden of the agricultural community.
How can I stay involved in the Regulatory Alignment Study?
There will be multiple opportunities for stakeholder and community input:
- Information Session – May 18th, 2023
Watch the Recording
View the Presentation Slides
Read the full Press Release
- Listening sessions will be conducted throughout 2023.
The listening sessions will gather stakeholder and community input on the experience related to meeting food safety and water quality regulatory requirements.
- Read the full Blog Post for more information
Please contact RegulatoryAlignmentStudy@crowe.com to schedule a listening session.
Written comments related to this effort are encouraged. Any interested parties are welcome to submit comments to CDFA at RegulatoryAlignmentStudy@cdfa.ca.gov.
- Additional workshops will be scheduled for 2024.
- Interested parties will have an opportunity to review a preliminary report and provide feedback via workshops and written comments.
- Will be conducted throughout 2023.
- Please contact RegulatoryAlignmentStudy@crowe.com
to schedule a listening session.
How to stay informed
Updates will be posted to this page throughout the study.
Questions, feedback, or comments can also be submitted to CDFA at RegulatoryAlignmentStudy@cdfa.ca.gov