Plant Pest Diagnostics Center
The Plant Pest Diagnostics Branch serves as a scientific resource, providing timely and accurate plant pest diagnostics and professional expertise to our clients. Our scientists, technicians and support staff strive to provide leadership in science and excellence in service.
The tasks of our scientists and staff include:
- Timely and accurate diagnosis of plant pests, weeds, and diseases, and evaluation of seed quality and viability.
- Expert consultation for pest prevention programs and for external clientele.
- Services for the improvement of plant quality and for export of agricultural products.
- Cutting edge research on the identification and characterization of new pest and disease species, and on the methodologies to improve diagnostic procedures.
- Maintenance and curation of critical scientific resources, including the California State Collection of Arthropods, the Herbarium, the Seed Herbarium, and plant disease collections.