CDFA Plant Health

Frequently Asked Questions image  


 •  1220 "N" Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
 •  916-654-0435  •
 •  Pest Hotline: 1-800-491-1899

Frequently Asked Questions

What is "industrial hemp"?

According to California Health and Safety Code (HSC) Section 11018.5:

"Industrial hemp" means a fiber or oilseed crop, or both, that is limited to types of the plant Cannabis sativa L. having no more than three-tenths of 1 percent tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) contained in the dried flowering tops, whether growing or not; the seeds of the plant; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin produced therefrom.

Can I grow industrial hemp in California?

All commercial growers of industrial hemp must register with the county agricultural commissioner prior to cultivation. Registration is not yet available. The fees and process for registration will be developed in conjunction with the Industrial Hemp Advisory Board.

An "established agricultural research institution," as defined in Food and Agricultural Code (FAC) Section 81000, is exempt from registration and may currently grow industrial hemp in California.

How do I register with the state/county to commercially grow industrial hemp?

There is no state registration to grow industrial hemp; only local registration is required. Registration to grow industrial hemp is not yet available.

What is the Industrial Hemp Advisory Board, and how can I participate?

Food and Agricultural Code (FAC) Section 81001 establishes an Industrial Hemp Advisory Board to advise CDFA and make recommendations pertaining to the cultivation of industrial hemp, including industrial hemp seed law and regulations, annual budgets, and the setting of an assessment rate. FAC Section 81001 also outlines the makeup and administration of the Board.

All meetings of the Industrial Hemp Advisory Board will be open to the public. Meeting notices will be posted on the Plant Health Division Meeting Web page, and all interested parties are encouraged to attend and participate.

How can I receive updates regarding industrial hemp regulation?

You can sign up to receive e-mail updates from CDFA regarding industrial hemp by visiting CDFA's Subscription web page, or by sending a blank e-mail to:

What are the laws and regulations regarding the production of industrial hemp in California?

California's industrial hemp law can be found in Division 24 of the California Food and Agricultural Code (FAC).

Whom do I contact about the cultivation of other forms of cannabis?

Licensing and regulation for the cultivation of medical and adult-use cannabis is overseen by the CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing Program. More information can be found at:

Is the CDFA Industrial Hemp Program a pilot program as defined in Farm Bill Section 7606?

No. California law does not provide for CDFA to establish a pilot program or to participate in or promote research projects.

Can I bring hemp seeds into California?

The importation and movement of hemp seeds is restricted under federal law. For information regarding obtaining a federal permit for the importation of hemp seeds, contact the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Can I bring unprocessed hemp into California?

The importation and movement of raw or unprocessed hemp plants or plant parts is restricted under federal law. For information regarding obtaining a federal permit for the importation of unprocessed hemp, contact the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Can I bring processed hemp products into California?

Many processed hemp materials may move freely per 21 C.F.R. 1308.35. For information on the restrictions and requirements that may apply to specific hemp products, contact the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Is industrial hemp federally regulated as a controlled substance?

Hemp is a Schedule I drug according to the federal Controlled Substances Act. Cannabis related activity is subject to federal prosecution, regardless of the protections provided by state law.

For more information, contact the California Industrial Hemp Program at