There are many reasons why people become organic farmers. Organic farming can be rewarding, but it does necessitate additional commitment; as there are requirements and standards beyond those for conventional farming.
If you are interested in becoming organic, the following resources can help you get started.
- The California State Organic Program (SOP): Frequently Asked Questions
- Organic Certifiers List contains USDA Accredited Certifying Agents (ACA) who are registered with the SOP to certify organic operations in the State. In California, organic operations are required to register with the SOP prior to obtaining organic certification with an ACA.
- The California Department of Public Health: Organic Food Processors
- USDA National Organic Program: Is Organic an Option for Me?
- Fact Sheet: What is Organic?
- Guide for Organic Crop Producers
- Guide for Organic Livestock Producers
- Guide for Organic Processors
- Guide to Organic Certification
- Organic Trade Association: Organic 101