Wildfire Recovery Resources

Fire Recovery Resources (Main Site)

This website provides tools and resources for Californians who have been impacted by wildfires. This site combines emergency response, recovery and resilience information into a single place for easy access by users. It is a one-stop portal that include local and state resources, healthy services, shelters and housing, preparedness information, and more.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Disaster Assistance Programs

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has multiple agencies that provide financial and/or technical assistance to help farmers, ranchers and rural landowners recover from natural disasters, such as wildfires. Listed below are important links and listings of USDA agencies that may be of assistance.

Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool (USDA)

The USDA’s Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool provides an overview of USDA disaster assistance programs that might be available to California farmers and ranchers depending on loss/damage, location, timing and impact. Local program availability and individual eligibility will be determined by the USDA servicing office. For more information about disaster programs in your area, contact your local USDA service center.

To find your local USDA service center visit offices.usda.gov

USDA Disaster Assistance Reference Guide

The USDA Disaster Assistance Reference Guide details the agencies, programs and assistance available to California farmers, ranchers and communities.

Farm Service Agency (FSA)

USDA’s Farm Service Agency offers a variety of programs and services to help communities, farmers, ranchers, and businesses that have been hard hit by natural disaster events. County offices provide direct service to producers to help them understand available programs, eligibility and requirements, application processes and deadlines, and business plan development assistance.

Risk Management Agency (RMA)

Risk Management Agency oversees the Federal crop insurance programs. Insureds must have a policy in force with their crop insurance agent to have coverage. This program may protect against the loss of their covered crops or livestock due to natural disasters such as hail, freezes, floods, fire, insects, disease and wildlife, or may cover the loss of revenue due to a decline in price or other factors for applicable programs.

Insureds must call their crop insurance agent within 72 hours of damage discovery to initiate a claim. The crop insurance company will arrange for a loss adjuster to inspect the crop. Do not destroy evidence that is needed to support the claim without clear direction from the insurance company, preferably in writing.

USDA RMA Regional Office:
430 G Street — Suite 4168
Davis, CA 95616-4168
Phone: 530-792-5870
Email: rsoca@rma.usda.gov

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

Farmers, ranchers and non-industrial private forestland owners affected by wildfires can access technical assistance through NRCS' conservation programs. Farm Bill financial assistance programs may be available in coming months to assist in implementing needed practices. These include advice on preventing erosion, covering and protecting exposed soil, directing water away from vulnerable areas and more.

In addition, NRCS may also be able to help impacted communities return damaged watersheds to normal functioning. The Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP) is designed to help reduce imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fire, drought, earthquakes, windstorms and other natural disasters.

Rural Development (RD)

Rural Development offers a variety of assistance to help California’s rural communities, businesses and families recover and rebuild after disasters, including wildfires.

Complete details on available programs can be found in the Rural Development California Disaster Assistance Resources overview.

UC Agriculture and Natural Resources Cooperative Extension

In addition to the USDA resources listed above, expertise and assistance on particular subjects (e.g. Re-seeding, Erosion & Flooding, Livestock, Salvage Logging and Reforestation) may be available through local or regional University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) Extension offices. To find contact information for your local county Extension office, or for information on topics of interest, those sites can be accessed at ucanr.edu/County_Offices/

UC Agriculture and Natural Resources Headquarters
1111 Franklin Street, 10th Floor
Oakland, California
Phone: (530) 750-1221

CDFA Fairs and Expositions Branch

CDFA’s Fairs & Expositions Branch within the Division of Marketing Services, provides fiscal and policy oversight to the network of California fairs. California’s fairgrounds also play a key supporting role during wildfires. California’s fairgrounds fill a role in this task, often serving as operational centers and providing shelter and sustenance for evacuated livestock, pets and other rescued animals. CDFA’s Fairs and Expositions Branch oversees the state’s 77 fair organizations and participates in wildfire response.

Program Contacts

Farm Service Agency - Regional Office
430 G Street #4161
Davis, CA 95616
Find your county office
Risk Management Agency - Regional Office
430 G Street #4168
Davis, CA 95616
Rural Development - State Office
430 G Street #4169
Davis, CA 95616
Find your local office
Natural Resources Conservation Service
430 G Street #4164
Davis, CA 95616
Find your local office