Water Efficiency Technical Assistance Program
The Budget Act of 2021 appropriated $5 million to CDFA for irrigation water efficiency and nutrient management technical assistance grants. The Water Efficiency Technical Assistance (WETA) grant program is designed to facilitate technical assistance to agricultural operations for on-farm water and energy use efficiency and nutrient management.
Organizations that receive funding will work on any or all of three program objectives:
- Provide on-farm, one-on-one technical assistance to farmers to evaluate irrigation system efficiency (e.g., mobile irrigation lab) and provide diagnostics, reports and recommendations to growers.
- Coordinate or provide pump efficiency testing for farmers.
- Provide training regarding water use efficiency and nutrient management practices and technology.
CDFA is currently accepting applications for the WETA Grant Program.
Through a competitive grant application process Resource Conservation Districts, non-profit organizations, universities, and California and federally recognized Tribes may apply for up to $500,000 to provide technical assistance over a three-year grant term. Before initiating an application for WETA, please review the following items to learn more about the program and application process:
- Water Efficiency Technical Assistance Request for Grant Applications (RGA)
- Workplan and Budget Template for RCDs, Non-Profits and Tribes
- Workplan and Budget Template for UC/CSU
- Application Portal
Applications are due January 19, 2022 by 5 pm PT. Late applications will not be accepted.
CDFA will hold one informational webinar to review the WETA program requirements and application process.
When: Nov 30, 2021 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Register in advance for this webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Timeline for WETA Application and Award Process
|Solicitation Process||Estimated Timeframe*|
|Application Submission Period||November 22, 2021 – January 19, 2022|
|Review Period||January – February, 2022|
|Announcement of Awards||February 2022|
|Grant Agreement Development and Execution||March- May 2022|
|Awarded Technical Assistance Project Implementation||June 2022 – June 2025|
*Subject to change.
The Water Efficiency Technical Assistance Program (WETA) is currently accepting applications