Dairy Digester Research & Development Program
CDFA’s Dairy Digester Research and Development Program (DDRDP) provides financial assistance for the installation of dairy digesters in California, which will result in reduced greenhouse gas emissions. CDFA received $50 million from the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund in 2016 (AB 1613 Section 13. Item 8570-101-3228) for methane emissions reductions from dairy and livestock operations. CDFA will allocate $29-36 million from the total $50 million appropriation as incentives to support digester projects on California dairy operations. Remainder of the funding appropriation will incentivize development of non-digester practices to reduce methane emissions through the Alternative Manure Management Program (AMMP). DDRDP is guided by the Statement of Principles (PDF) of the California-Federal Dairy Digester Working Group. The Working Group is a partnership of state, federal and local agencies with the common goal of identifying and removing barriers to the wide adoption of dairy digester systems in California.
Dairy Digester Research and Development Program (DDRDP) 2017 Program Updates
- CDFA released the DRAFT Request for Grant Applications (RGA) for a 10-day comment period from February 1, 2017 – February 14, 2017. Comments were invited on the following documents:
Comments submitted on the DRAFT Request for Grant Applications
- A webinar was held on February 6, 10:00 a.m to highlight key components of the draft RGA, including revised scoring criteria and changes from last round due to new legislation (SB 859).
CDFA DDRDP Webinar Presentation – February 6, 2017
- DRAFT ARB Quantification Methodology and Tool
The California Air Resources Board (ARB) posted the draft DDRDP Quantification Methodology and Tool on their webpage for public comments:
ARB accepted comments on the DDRDP Quantification Methodology and Tool until February 14, 2017.
This tool will be used in CDFA’s upcoming DDRDP Request for Grant Applications.
November 2016 Public Listening Sessions
November 30, 2016 Webinar – Interested parties can register for the Dairy Digester Research and Development webinar by sending an e-mail to email@example.com with your request. Webinar information will be e-mailed to you.
Agenda: Community Conversation regarding Disadvantaged Communities and Dairy Digester Research & Development Program; November 9, 2016
DDRDP Fact Sheet – Spanish
November 9, 2016 – Community Conversation Presentation
DDRDP Listening Sessions Presentation (November 17th, 21st, 22nd and 30th, 2016) – UPDATED
Please submit comments in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. PST on Thursday, December 15, 2016.
Tentative Timeline for the 2016-2017 Dairy Digester Research and Development Program
(Revised January 2017)
|Public/Stakeholder Meetings||November 2016|
|Request for Grant Application released for 10-day public comment||February 2017|
|Notice of Funding availability released||March 2017|
|Grant Application Workshops||March – Apr 2017|
|Applications proposals due||May 2017|
|Proposal evaluation period||May-July 2017|
|Announce grant awardees||August 2017|
|Project Implementation begins||September 2017|
|*Subject to change|
About the Program
Dairy digesters are a renewable technology that uses livestock manure to produce methane, which is a renewable source of electrical energy generation and transportation fuel. The technology has many environmental and social benefits. More information on dairy digesters can be found on the CalEPA Dairy Digesters webpage and the USEPA AgSTAR Anaerobic Digestion webpage.
- CDFA Seeking Public Comments on the Next Dairy Digester Research and Development Program Grant Solicitation
- Public Listening Sessions Scheduled to Discuss CDFA’s Dairy Digester Research and Development Program
- CDFA Announces Projects Selected for DDRDP Phase I (Dairy Digester Development) Awards for 2014-15 Press Release
- DDRDP Phase II April 9 Request for Research Proposals
- CDFA Announces March 4 Public Meeting to Discuss Research Phase of New Dairy Dairy Digester Research and Development Program
- CDFA Announces Available Funding for Dairy Digester Development Program
- Public Meetings Scheduled to Discuss CDFA's Dairy Digester Research and Development Program
DDRDP in the News
Farm Beat: Study praises dairy manure digesters
(John Holland, The Modesto Bee) – A new study praises some of the dairy cows in Stanislaus and Merced counties for doing their part to curb climate change.
The Amazing Animal That Puts Food on Your Plate and Powers Your Home.
Haiken, M. (2015, January 16). Retrieved from http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/01/16/amazing-animal-puts-food-your-plate-and-powers-your-home
Growing California video series: Cow Power
New Hope Dairy like other California dairies is quickly pioneering a new method to convert cow manure into methane gas using anaerobic digester plants.