Media Contacts: Steve Lyle, CDFA Public Affairs, (916) 654-0462, email@example.com,
Sacramento, December 13, 2011 - The California Department of Food and Agriculture, on behalf of the Invasive Species Council of California (ISCC), seeks to appoint seven (7) members to the California Invasive Species Advisory Committee (CISAC).
The role of CISAC is to advise the ISCC on a broad array of issues related to preventing the introduction and spread of invasive species and providing for their control and/or eradication, as well as minimizing the economic, ecological, and human health impacts that invasive species cause.
The ISCC chair is the secretary of the California Department of Food and Agriculture and the vice-chair is the secretary of the California Natural Resources Agency. Other members are the secretaries of the following California agencies:
• Environmental Protection Agency
• Business, Transportation, and Housing Agency
• Health and Human Services Agency
• Emergency Management Agency
The ISCC represents the highest level of leadership and authority in state government regarding invasive species. Its goal is to promote a consistent approach to invasive species at the state level. The purpose of the ISCC is to help coordinate a comprehensive effort to exclude invasive species from entering California and to eliminate, reduce, or mitigate the impacts of invasive species already established in the state.
CISAC maintains an intensive and regular dialogue regarding the aforementioned issues and provides advice in cooperation with other stakeholders and existing organizations addressing invasive species.
Prospective nominees of the CISAC should be knowledgeable in and represent one or more of the following communities of interest:
- Biologists - Global Commerce
- Ranchers - Economists
- Foresters - Tribal Government Representatives
- Farmers - Plant Pathology
- Academics / Researchers - Entomology
- Public Health Specialists - Risk Analysts
- Weed Science - Nematology
- Veterinary Medicine - Public Member
- Federal, state, county and city Government Representatives
- Non-Governmental Environmental Representatives
No member may serve on the CISAC for more than two (2) consecutive terms. All terms will be limited to three (3) years in length.
Members of the CISAC and its subcommittees will serve without pay. However, while away from their homes or regular places of business to attend to CISAC business, members, to the extent funding is available, may be allowed travel expenses, including per diem. Interested parties and newly appointed CISAC members are encouraged to attend the next meeting of the CISAC which will be held on Thursday, January 19, 2012.
Nominations should be typed and should include the following:
1. A brief summary of no more than two (2) pages explaining the nominee’s suitability to serve on the CISAC.
2. A resume or curriculum vitae.
3. At least two (2) letters of reference.
Nominations should be postmarked no later than Tuesday, January 10, 2012, to the following address:
Dr. Robert Leavitt
Invasive Species Council of California
1220 N Street, Suite 221
Sacramento, California 95814.
For additional information, visit the Invasive Species Council of California’s website at: www.iscc.ca.gov.